Thursday, December 14, 2006,2:41 PM

The Great Commission



Therefore go and make disciples…



I think Rick Meigs hits the nail on the head regarding discipleship. If you find yourself wondering if you consider yourself a disciple, or thoughts about discipleship - read this post for a brief outline of some of the things you expect.



Obviously my biggest point of emphasis is on the lack of the Kingdom in the author's second point. That is the entire story arc from where I sit - so to not mention it - I just can't imagine it. It makes my head hurt not mentioning it! And you'll see my in the comments down there trying to raise the question about the Kingdom and what part that plays in the Gospel. But overall this is well done. It requires a firm stated commitment (baptism, his 4th point), a withdrawl from the world (his first point), obedience (6), involvement in the community (5), and giving the commandment that they need to listen to their lord (8). I think an emphasis must also be placed on a personal understanding - a personal, internal struggle with coming to grips with the very words of Jesus. Not having these doctrines hand-picked for your consumption. But getting dirty learning the words of your master yourself.

 
posted by JohnO
Permalink ¤